December 20, 2011

Street food.

Interesting how in the America it's not always smart to eat food from street vendors. Here it's different.

Yesterday I had a churro filled with something similar to caramel. It was somewhere between warm and hot, rolled in cinnamon and sugar and the filling was oozing out the top. It was easily the most delicious dessert I've eaten in years, and of course unbelievably cheap. A dessert that could've been layed nicely on a clean white plate and garnished with a sprig of mint in an upscale restaurant in a busy city.

Later in the evening we stopped at a corner vendor for a kabob of meat. They had chicken ready so we bought one. Fresh off the grill, seasoned perfectly and so, so moist. I can honestly say I've never been to anyone's barbeque and had chicken that amazing. And again so cheap. This stand in particular has been on the same corner for about 15 years.

No one finds them dirty, or gets worried, or doesn't let their kids eat from these stands. It's the norm. I feel like this is sort of happening in the US with food trucks. This past summer I saw tons, and they were always busy. I can tell already that when I leave I'll miss this.

1 comment: