January 16, 2012

Sore Legs and Toasted Buns.

I'm back from the beach and boy am I tan. I didn't know I could be the color I am. Jeez! There wasn't a single cloud in the sky the entire time we were there. The beach was packed and we used more sunblock this week than I may have used collectively in my entire life.

We woke up between 9 and 11 every day, blocked up, and headed down to the beach. We'd spend the day there in and out of the water, sucking down forever melting popsicles, and eating salgadinhos (which are savory little pastries usually filled with fish or chicken) and milho verde (Corn on the cob). After a most necessary shower there would be a little bit of lounging and hanging out and chatting and then dinner. After dinner there is always a game. Card games, video games, capture the flag and SOCCER.

Yesterday I played soccer for the first time in maybe 10 years. Seriously, I think we played in gym class when I was in 8th grade. I was both the oldest player, and the only female player. I had an absolute blast! Now I fully understand the Brazilian love for soccer. If you love to watch the sport, you probably want to play it too, what a game. After my team won 5-4 I walked away from the field (That is filled with chickens during the day!!) feeling like a rock star. I had gotten a good deal of healthy exercise and had a great time doing it! This is the sound of me being converted to a Brazilian. And good Lord am I sore today!

One of my favorite things about this beach town (take no offense family and friends) is that no one uses the internet or their cell phones. It is almost as if we've traveled back to a time where those things didn't exist. Boy does it feel good. It makes you really appreciate the human connection. When you want to hang out with a friend in Ubu you have to go find them. Maybe on the way, you find other friends, or other things to do and it becomes a little adventure. Everyone gets more exercise just looking for each other. You learn to be entertained again by people and by your surroundings and not by a little machine in your lap. I grew up that way, it's nice to be reminded of that.

I'll post pictures tonight. I took TONS. So many that people have designated me the family photographer. It has turned into a project for Yuri's family that are in the U.S. I've been taking small videos of everything, I'm going to use one of the programs on my laptop to edit them together with music and put them on a DVD for his family. Thanks again Mom for lending me your camera, it's made a lot of people very happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment