January 23, 2012

Weird Fruits.

I've been able to try some really neat fruits while I've been here. Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of all of them but I'm going to do my best to find some. I'll start with the more normal

Pessegos: Brazilian Peaches. Basically the same, except sweeter.
Uvas: Grapes. Always green, and never seedless.
Manga: Mangoes. A few different varieties, always SO good.
Maracuja: Passion Fruit. You can find these in the U.S. seasonally, but they aren't as tasty as the ones here. Another very popular juice flavor.

Jabuticaba: Doesn't exist in the U.S. so I can't give it a name. I posted about them a ways back. Similar to grapes in size and appearance but not in texture.
Goiaba: Again, doesn't exist in the U.S. so I can't name it. A very popular juice and popsicle flavor here.
Graviola: No translation here. This one is definitely a weird one. Doesn't look edible from the outside, but it's sweet, juicy and soft on the inside.
And last but not least Jaca: Supposedly it's called "Jack Fruit" in the U.S. but you won't find it there. They are absolutely massive. They're full of little "cloves" I'll call them, of fruit that each have a seed inside. People claim it tastes like bubblegum, but I wouldn't go that far. Sweet, but not bubblegum sweet.
No idea who this guy is, but the picture shows the size well!

Would you try these??

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I think I would try them all. A few of them look really labor intensive to get the fruit out. Which is your fave? Mangoes? When they make a fruit salad do they use all of these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "Jack Fruit" is a pain to get the fruit out. I love passion fruit, graviola is pretty strange texture wise, but it's darn tasty. I'm yet to encounter a fruit salad here in Brazil, but boy would it be tasty! The closest I've come is the frozen yogurt shop around the corner that has an array of fresh fruits you can put on top of your yogurt. Surprisingly they're pretty standard. Strawberries, kiwis, bananas, mangoes, pineapple and so on, none of these cool ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted that response under Yuri's name. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of thought that was you! Are you on line now?

    ReplyDelete