September 3, 2012

Hit The Gym.

Today I joined a gym. A Brazilian gym. And it was awesome.

Camila asked me if I wanted to work out with her a few days ago. The gym is right around the corner and it's a healthy way for me to spend some free time here, so I said yes! She called this afternoon saying she'd be over around 4:30 and we would walk to the gym together. All day I was worried. I've read so many blog posts and articles about what Brazilian women wear to the gym. Considering that I'm not in Rio or Sao Paulo I was less concerned about what the women here might be wearing, but still concerned.

When I got there they took down all my information and snapped a quick picture of me. Then they did something I really wasn't expecting, they finger-printed me. Some gyms in the US give you a member number, some give you a key chain with a barcode, but I've never been finger-printed before! As if you could find a way around the finger printing to sneak in they also have a turn style that you have to go through.

The gym is fairly small but is well equipped. There are maybe 8 treadmills, a full set of free weights, and all sorts of machines. But the best part about Brazilian gyms is that there are staff working in the gym area that are basically there to semi personal train you. They show you how to use the machines, and help you find a good weight, and correct you if your form is off. This is especially helpful for me, at times I can feel my body struggling with an exercise and appreciate someone correcting my form.

Everyone has a card. A card with their name on it and various exercises listed on it. You mark down the date and the weight on each exercise. There is a session A and a session B, you alternate every other day.

As far as the gym attire?
Yeah. These pictures are only half accurate. These are great examples of the pants I saw at the gym today, but for the most part all the women wore regular tank tops and shirts. Also, I am yet to see a one piece. Hey, if it makes you want to go the the gym, why not? If I decide to buy into the trend I'll be sure to post again!

3 comments:

  1. Those outfits are FUNNY! Come on! We want to see Court working out in multi-color, booty onsie pics! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. COUT NEY i miss you so much! bring me back one of those outfits and I'll glue to RiRa logo on it and wear it everyday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haaaarp! I miss you too!! Make sure to stuff the butt so it looks authentic! I'll do my best to get you a blue and gold one to really make RiRa proud.

    ReplyDelete